Meet your 2018 Invictus Games Fellows
Earlier this year, the BASEM Executive Board requested applications from the membership for 3 Fellow positions to attend the 2018 Invictus Games and provide medical cover for the competing athletes. Many applications were received and the 3 successful applicants are now in Australia, having completed several pre games trial sessions. We wish our members, the rest of the medical team and athletes all the best and look forward to watching their success.
Please meet the 2018 Invictus Games Fellows:-
2018 Invictus Games Fellows
Dr Rhodri Martin
Dr Rhodri Martin MRCP FFSEM
Dr Rhodri Martin is a Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine, and holds roles working as a Consultant in the NHS, as a team doctor for the Football Association of Wales men’s senior team, team doctor for Bath Rugby and also as a sports physician at the Welsh Institute of Sport in Cardiff. Dr Martin has previously worked as a sports doctor at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and also at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Dr Sarah Rollins
Dr Rollins is an ex Army General Practitioner, now working as a civilian for the Ministry of Defence at the Regional Rehabilitation Unit in Aldershot in an operational, training and sport injuries clinic where she provides a diagnostic and treatment service that includes the use of Ultrasound with guided injection therapy. Dr Rollins is passionate about sport and physical acitivity having been a member of the GB Orienteering Team from 2000 to 2013. Her particular clinical interests lie in running biomechanics and human anatomy.
Mr Leo Athanasatos
Allied Health Professional Fellowship
- BAppSc (Physiotherapy) 1994 - University of Sydney, Australia
- ADipSpSc 1985 - University of Wollongong, Australia
- Trained in Extended Scope Practice Injection Therapy 1998 - North Middlesex Hospital
- 1998 - Established an independent Physiotherapy & Sports injury clinic
- Team physio GP Paralympic swimming 2 years
- F1 & 24 hr Le Mans Physio to numerous drivers and teams 2001 - 2007
- Undergraduate Clinical Education Lead 1997 - 2000 North Middlesex Hospital
- Extensive teaching experience UK & Europe on Clinical Reasoning, Clinical Skills, Anatomy & Biomechanics, Spinal Joint Mobilisation, McConnell Patellofemoral & Shoulder Dysfunction courses
- BASEM member since 1998