Doctors Of Medicine
Categories of Sports Medicine Qualification
Sport and Exercise Medicine became a recognised speciality by the GMC in 2005. This means that a recognised training programme is in existence and doctors post qualification can be selected for training, complete a 5 year specialist programme resulting in entry on the specialist register.
The training programme is administered by the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board (PMETB).
Prior to the creation of the speciality and for much of the history of BASEM many doctors worked in sport from many existing medical and surgical specialities and continue to do so, these include Accident and Emergency, Orthopaedic surgery, Rheumatology and General Practice.
1. Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine
Holds an NHS or equivalent consultant level appointment and is on the GMC Specialist Register.
2. General Practitioner with a special interest in sport
Holds an NHS or equivalent post and is on the GP Register. Often with considerable experience in sport medicine and a higher Degree such as MSc in Sport and Exercise Medicine
3. Sports/Team Physician
Works with sports teams and/or at sporting event, does not relate to a specific level of training and qualification (ie. may be a Consultant or a GP, or have a higher degree or none of the above).
5. Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Physician
A seperate Medical Speciality where Doctors often work in Sport. GMC registered and holds an NHS or equivalent Consultant level appointment.
The Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine(FSEM)
The Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine not only sets the standards in SEM but oversees research, training, curriculum and assessment of SEM doctors. Currently, the Faculty works to:
- Oversee Sport and Exercise Medicine standards, education, curriculum , training requirements and programmes
- Detail the competencies required in Sport and Exercise Medicine, and facilitate examination, assessments and appraisals
- Represent the specialty of Sport and Exercise Medicine, and work with others in the sector
- Demonstrate the need for specialists and subspecialists in SEM
- Progress career pathways for doctors wishing to develop careers in SEM, by offering guidance and support.
For further information about the Faculty click on their logo to the left of the screen.
The Faculty website is a good place to start when researching Careers in SEM.