Call For Abstracts 2017
BASEM is pleased to announce that The Institute of Sport and Exercise Medicine (ISEM) is once again supporting the Annual "Association and Institute Prize for Sport and Exercise Medicine" which will be awarded at the BASEM/FSEM Annual Conference taking place on 12th – 13th October, 2017 in Bath.
The organisers would like to invite submissions of abstracts for poster or podium presentation.
Research from all clinical aspects of sport and exercise medicine is invited; anything that relates to the health, well-being and function of patients or athletes.
The Association and Institute Prize for Sport and Exercise Medicine
Submitted abstracts will be reviewed and successful applicants will be invited to present their abstracts at the conference. This will mainly be in poster format but those submitting the best abstracts will be invited to present their research as a short podium presentation during the research session on the morning of Friday 13th October.
Judging for prizes will be done during the conference by a panel of ISEM and BASEM committee members. The winning projects will be decided according to a combined score based on the written abstract and the poster or podium presentation. Authors are strongly encouraged to be present beside their posters during conference breaks to answer questions, but this will not form part of the judging process.
First Prize £300
Second Prize £125
First Prize £300
Second Prize £125
Deadline for submissions
Friday 18th August, 2017
Successful applicants will be informed by Friday 8th September.
All submissions should be sent, by email, to Nicky Birkinshaw at
Prize winning abstracts will be published in the 2018 BASEM issue of the BJSM.
Abstract Guidelines & Selection Criteria
All abstracts will be peer reviewed externally and anonymously by members of the Association and Institute Prize judging panel. The review process will be based on originality of work, scientific quality and contribution to furthering understanding within sport and exercise medicine. The judging panel will select the best abstracts for poster and podium presentation.
Additional Conditions Relating to the BASEM/FSEM 2017 Conference Submissions
- Work submitted must be unpublished and not previously presented in the UK.
- Any author who is accepted and fails to present will be banned from presenting at the Conference the following 2 years up to and including Conference 2019.
- The Conference Committee reserves the right to change these terms and conditions and alter prize classification at any stage.
Instructions to Authors for Submission of Abstracts
Maximum 300 Words
- Abstracts must be typed single spaced on one page laid out as follows:
They must not exceed 300 words and have no more than one table included. Please use a font of at least 11. Give the initials and the last name of every author, but omit degree or titles. The person presenting the paper should have his/her name mentioned first and underlined. Indicate the name and address of the institution where the work was carried out, but you must also include an accurate emailing address and telephone contact, along with mailing address, for the author on a separate page.
- The text should be arranged as follows without the use of subtitles
Conclusions (it is not acceptable to state "results will be discussed").
- Use standard abbreviations. Place a special or unusual abbreviation in parentheses after the full word the first time it appears. Please use generic names of drugs. Proprietary name may be put in parentheses. Simple tables may be included if they fit within the space.
- References (no more than three) should be listed numerically in the text eg; (1) (2) and then placed at the bottom of the text using Vancouver format. Do not use a separate heading for references.
- Make your paper clear enough for people from other disciplines to understand.
- You must be registered as a delegate for the Conference by Monday 2nd October, 2017.
- Abstracts that do not meet the above requirements will not be accepted.
Good luck with your submission.